Quick Chart for Keeping Fruits and Veggies Fresh

May 5, 2013

I was on the hunt for a chart that would help me figure out the best way to store my fruits and veggies to keep them fresh. I have gotten tired of throwing money away. I hope this chart helps someone.

Store in Refrigerator
Apples (storage >7 days)
Apricots
Cantaloupe
Figs
Honeydew

Artichokes
Asparagus
Beets

Blackberries 
Blueberries 

Broccoli 
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage

Carrots 
Cauliflower 

Celery
Cherries

Corn 
Grapes
Green beans

Green onions 
Herbs (except basil)
Lima beans
Leafy vegetables
Leeks

Lettuce 
Mushrooms 
Okra 

Peas 
Plums 
Radishes 
Raspberries 
Spinach
Sprouts

Strawberries 
Summer squash
Yellow squash
Zucchini





Store on Countertop

Apples (storage < 7 days)
Bananas
Tomatoes
Basil
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Garlic
Ginger
Grapefruit
Jicama
Lemons
Limes
Mangoes
Oranges
Papayas
Peppers
Persimmons
Pineapple
Plantains
Pomegranates
Watermelon

Store in a Cool, Dry Place

Acorn squash
Butternut squash
Onions (away from potatoes)
Potatoes (away from onions)
Pumpkins
Spaghetti squash
Sweet potatoes
Winter squash

Ripen on Counter,
Then
 Refrigerate
Avocados
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Plums
Kiwi





Credit: sparkpeople.com

26 comments:

Dina said...

Oh thanks for that! I had no idea the shelf life for fruits in the fridge wasn't that great!

Mary said...

Great list! I'm always trying to figure out the best place to store things. One of my favorite discoveries was to put the tomatoes on the counter. That was hard to learn because my mom always refrigerated them.

Unknown said...

This is a handy list! It's easy to lose shelf-life of fruits and veggies when you don't know the best way to store them!

G.S. Marjara said...

Good, although I dont store for more than a day. I bring in fresh almost every other day in the morning when I came back from morning walk.

Savannah said...

I have issues with potatoes. I always grab to big of a bag and by the time I get near the bottom I have to throw them out :/ In the summer I plant them, but winter time they just go to waste.

This is crazy, but I never knew that you couldn't sure potatoes and onions together!

Jenna Parsons said...

I need to print this off and hang it on my fridge!

Anonymous said...

I am posting this inside our kitchen cabinet door. My husband and I are always arguing about freshness, now we'll have something to look at!

Wood Arts Universe said...

Great info.. thanks for sharing

jenny at dapperhouse said...

This is something I have never given mush thought to and um, I have been doing some of these wrong! I am actually going to print this out and tape it to the inside of my cupboard to reference until I memorize it. Thanks for the tips!

Unknown said...

Produce is so expensive and it's so tough to know how to best store it!

Thanks for the chart this is getting printed and put on the fridge.

Steven said...

Excellent post! Thank you for this :D

Unknown said...

Very informative post! I never know how long fruits and veggies last and end up buying too many!

Unknown said...

I love this list

Pam said...

I have always wondered about some of these things. I keep apples way longer than what they say on this list. Thanks for posting this.

Shanna said...

This is so awesome! Perfect!

Kathy @ CountingToTen said...

I'm printing this now and hanging it in the kitchen! Now...you're making me realize how few fruits and veggies I have in stock!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone. I'm glad it helped someone

Katherine Bartlett said...

I'm going to print this off for reference!

Eileen said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing. Now I do not have to "force-feed" my kids with fruit because now I have an idea of how long they could last.

Garf said...

Thanks for sharing this! Very informative.

Sheila said...

This is very helpful, we don't stock veggies but we do with fruits and sometimes it got bad and rotten

Jayne said...

I can see I would do well to stick our apples in the frig! Thanks for posting this chart. I pinned it!

Lexie Lane said...

This is really helpful. I know a lot of us go through situations when we just don't understand why we bought something and its shelf life is just a day or two. Thanks for these tips!

Liz Mays said...

I just sent this to my printer. This will prove to be so valuable. Thank you!

FabulousPerks said...

Very informative! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

AWESOME! Thank you for putting all that together. Very helpful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS