Running with Pain

September 12, 2013



I will be the first to admit that I am addicted to running. However, the last two weeks or so has been extremely difficult. I'm getting stronger and faster; however, it seems I can't get my muscles to relax while I'm running. This causes spasms in my hamstrings, but I can deal with those. The major issue I'm having is my entire legs aching when I'm not running. The other night the pain was so bad it woke me up out of my sleep. For awhile, I laid there hoping it would pass. Over time, the pain got worse and I began to cry. I'm not a crier and I have a high tolerance for pain. So this pain was something serious. Anywho, I finally realized that I had to take something. I reached for my muscle relaxers and about  30 mins or so later the pain has ease to a tolerable level. I got up the next morning and hit the pavement like nothing happened.



Fast-forward a week later, my legs are still experiencing the same pain. My potassium isn't low. I'm using my foam roller. I'm eating great. I'm stretching before and after my runs. I've lost weight. I simply can't figure out why my legs are aching. Today, I had a friend suggest I go to the ER. I refused to go because I figured the doctors would give me more pills and tell me to stay off my legs for a bit.

Stay off of my legs? Now that's a thought I don't like. I realized in all of this that I am simply addicted to running. I've run through leg cramps, knee injuries, ill-fitting shoes, whatever the issue I just wont' stop. However, I will be the first to encourage someone to listen to their body and to get some rest. As I sit here now and type this, I'm contemplating missing my 4am run tomorrow and resting for a day. However, the little voice in my head says don't even think about it. What the heck it wrong with me mentally? Sigh

I have to figure something out and quickly. I hoping I can get to the bottom of the pain because I just refuse to stop running. I can see this pain has the potential to get worse. I'm just praying for a solution soon.

Well, thanks for dropping by. I'm sure you think I'm crazy but I'm just a woman with a goal, determination and maybe just a little crazy.




Have you had any similar issues with your legs aching? If so, what was the cause?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS